Friday 28 June 2013

Product Review: Stark Skincare's Cypress Purity and Defense Oil!

It's been a while since I've reviewed any natural beauty/skincare products, mostly because I'm pretty happy with the routine I've developed, so I haven't been testing as many new products!

One that I did recently add to my repertoire, however, is Stark Skincare's Cypress Purity and Defense Oil. And I'm in love.



Why I Bought It:

I first became intrigued by this oil after numerous recommendations on No More Dirty Looks. I know that my skin likes sweet almond oil,  and I've always wanted to try out the rest of the product list anyway, so this seemed like the perfect combination to do so!


Ingredients: Rice Bran Oil, Apricot Kernel Oil, Sweet Almond Oil, Camellia Seed Oil, Argan Nut Oil, Vitamin E, Cypress Oil, Bergamot Oil, and pure essential oils.

To paraphrase Stark Skincare, the benefits of the ingredients include: 
  • Cypress: purifies pores; cell-renewal properties, regulates sebum production
  • Bergamot: soothes irritation
  • Rice Bran: antioxidant-rich, reduces skin's UV ray absorption
  • Camellia seed, argan, sweet almond, apricot kernel: antioxidant-rich, light, moisturizing
Review: 
Before using this oil, I was going through a long period of breakouts on my cheeks, seemingly out of nowhere. I was getting frustrated with trying out new cleansers, moisturizers, etc., so I was pretty skeptical that this oil could moisturize while controlling breakouts. But I gave it a whirl anyway, and I'm so happy I did!

First up, this oil has a really unique smell that I happen to love, but I could see others not being so on board with it. It smells like (surprise, surprise) cypress, which if you haven't smelled cypress trees before kiiiiiind of smell like evergreens? But yummier. The smell fades pretty quickly either way, but initially I was surprised.

I use this oil after toner and my Mad Hippie Vitamin C serum. While my skin is still damp, I pat 2 drops on one side of my face then 2 drops on the other. It absorbs quickly and temporarily leaves the skin beautifully glowy but not greasy-looking. 

The first thing I noticed when I started using this oil is that I didn't want to use as many other products--I just wanted the oil to do its job without cluttering up my face with other 'stuff'! Which I think is a pretty rave review. Immediately it made my skin really soft, although by the end of the work day my skin needed another boost (I have really dry skin though). I didn't notice immediate improvement in breakouts, but I wasn't expecting much on that front anyway, as I've struggled with adult acne for years and haven't really found a 'miracle cure,' dirty or clean products included.

The more I use it, though, the better shape my skin seems to be in! I've been using it for about a month now and can honestly see improvement in my skin, in terms of reduction in breakouts, overall appearance, AND that it isn't as dry. At the end of the work day, I no longer feel parched.

This oil is a real treat and it feels so luxurious to pat it onto my face. It probably won't be heavy enough in the cold, dry winter, but it's perrrrrfect for my dry skin this summer. I rarely find I have dry skin anymore, and if I do I just pat some more oil on!

One thing I did notice, and this may be entirely coincidence, is that although my pores seemed less clogged (dare I even say smaller?), I have had more whiteheads. My skin typically develops blackheads or cystic acne, so it was interesting to note this change. Could be just the changing whether or my diet, though. Just thought I'd note it.

Moral of the Story: 
I love this oil. I think it would be great for anyone with dry skin, but since it's a very light oil I could see it working well for combination/problematic skin as well (actually, that's who they target it to). Another Holy Grail product in my book!

Where to Buy: 
Now that I've convinced you that this is amazing, go get you some! It's available for $45 for 1 oz. Stark says it should last 12-16 weeks, which I agree with since I've used it for a month and am probably just under a quarter of the way through the bottle. 

UPDATE: I've included this lovely oil in my post on my Summer Natural Beauty Regimen, check that out here!


For reference:
Face: dry skin but prone to breakouts. Pale, burns easily then tans. Pretty neutral skintone with slight tendency toward blue undertones.
Hair: Blonde, fine but lots of it, prone to greasiness/limpness with the wrong products, not frizzy or easily tangled, dries pretty straight and holds curl (via curling iron/flat iron) well.
Body: Dry skin, no problems with eczema, rosacea, etc.
So hopefully that helps you determine whether the products I use may work for you too!

No comments:

Post a Comment