Thursday 12 September 2013

Shake Up a Work Rut with a Mini-Makeover!

Lately work has been really overwhelming for me. There never seems to be enough time in the day, and each day I've been going home feeling like my to-do list only got longer. The other day I started thinking about how our work environment impacts our work performance, and I decided that I need to shake things up in my little work zone.

I don't have a large budget to dedicate to a makeover, and there's only so much you can do with standard-issue, regulated work furniture (ugly office chair, anyone?) But hopefully by sprucing up the space around me and creating a girly little refuge, I can make coming to work a little less stressful.

Here's my general plan:

Office Makeover


I'm all about bringing bits of glamour and relaxation in to work where I can. With those goals in mind, here are my thoughts:

1. I bought the gold papers shown in the background from Paper Source (click here for the floral and here for the geometric one). I'm going to cover my ugly cork board and the wall directly in front of me in the geometric, and line the acrylic tray and drawers shown here in the floral. I also plan to frame some black and white photos of friends and family and to use the floral as the mat for those frames.

2. One good thing about my office space is that it's 100% for me, meaning 100% girl-friendly zone. Unlike at home where I live with menfolk, this means I can make it as girly as I want! I plan to buy one or two of the floral and butterfly prints shown here--I'm in love with the deep dark tones of the print on the top left!

3. I drink a lot of water during the day, and currently I use a beat-up plastic Nalgene bottle. How much more chic would it be to get your daily water intake from a pretty carafe and gold stripey glasses??!

4. Since I want to bring some lightness to my work environment, I chose a couple of acrylic office supplies from the Container Store. The tray is the perfect size for my pen cup (currently I'm using an empty Anthro candle jar), tape dispenser, notepads, and this acrylic drawer system for my pushpins, paperclips, and other small items.

5. I'm still working on self-justifying buying this $24 stapler (so pretty! But it's twenty-four-freaking-dollars! But it's so pretty!), and I'd like to get this cool Pier 1 pillow for my desk chair.

5. A bit of fun washi tape rounds out my plan--life is just better when your basic office supplies are functional AND gorgeous! :)



What do you think? Does does your workplace decor affect your performance? 

No comments:

Post a Comment