Sunday 6 January 2013

Super duper easy healthy recipes!

Since many people, like me, are undoubtedly trying to fulfill new year's resolutions of eating healthier, yet are likely still stuck in old lazy habits, I thought I'd share some of my yummiest, easiest healthy recipes. And honestly, if I can make them, ANYONE can--I am by no means a good cook, or someone who has the patience to go through tons and tons of steps. So these recipes all have my endorsement as being simple to make with a huge flavor payoff. Enjoy!

Apple Quinoa Walnut Muffins: These are great breakfast muffins! Not very sweet at all, which I personally like early in the morning, but you could jazz them up with butter and/or by adding in dried fruits to your preference.

I actually made my own recipe by combining this recipe and this recipe. Follow the Nutritionist in the Kitch recipe, except instead of 3 tablespoons applesauce and a tablespoon of vegetable oil, use 2 T applesauce and 2 T apple butter...yummy!


Photo credit: Nutritionist in the Kitch

Honey Coconut Bran Muffins: Another great breakfast muffin option, these are much sweeter due to the 1/2 cup of honey! Yummy yummy! Although the recipe calls for 1 1/2 C wheat flour, I substituted 1/2 cup ground flaxseeds for an added omega 3 boost :) I also used other dried fruits instead of out-of-season blueberries.


Photo credit: Skinny Taste

Pesto, Basil, Mozz Grilled Sandwich: This jacked-up version of a traditional grilled cheese is DA BOMB. I use this recipe for the pesto, then follow this recipe for the rest (although it's pretty self-explanatory). So easy, so delicious. The pesto recipe is great for other things too, like this yummy pasta dish (use 2 cloves of garlic and less lemon than listed, though).


Photo credit: An Edible Symphony

Avocado Spinach Egg Salad: Even though I don't typically like eating foods with avocado the day after (the brown-ness grosses me out), I didn't have that problem with this recipe--had it for lunch for a week straight!


Photo credit: We Are Not Martha

Honey Chipotle Turkey Meatballs: Ok, so I saved my absolute favorite three for last. This recipe is perfect exactly as it is. The chipotle gives it a spicy tang that's nicely tempered by the honey--SO GOOD.


Photo Credit: Tracey's Culinary Adventures

Superfood Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette: I just made this the other day, and it's the perfect lunchtime meal. The recipe is packed with goodness to keep you full until you leave work, but definitely doesn't leave you feeling stuffed and sluggish. Next time I make it I'll tweak the vinaigrette recipe a little--I found it to be too much dressing for the amount of salad--and I may cut down on the amount of lemon as the listed recipe is a little tart for me. I didn't top it with shrimp, either, so that may have helped. Otherwise, I can't wait to try this again!


Photo credit: Iowa Girl Eats

Quinoa and Sweet Potato Vegetarian Chili: Oh my good lord. This chili recipe is perfection. Carnivores, don't fear--you won't even miss the meat because it's so savory and filling! We added corn to ours, which I thought was a nice touch.


Photo credit: Milk Free Mom

Diabetes Dessert: Ok so given my self-proclaimed recipe name (real one can be found here), it should come as no surprise to anyone that this is not at ALL healthy. But it is SUPER simple to make and SO SO fantastic, I bring it to parties all the time. Give it a whirl to treat yourself for making such healthy meals all week--just try to limit yourself to one piece ;)


Photo credit: House 344



Any easy, scrumptious recipes you all can share? I'm always looking to add to my pile of go-to's!



No comments:

Post a Comment