Monday 31 March 2014

Year-Long Clothing Budget Update: March Purchases

Recently I outlined my new clothing budget plan for the rest of the year. As a quick refresher, I put together a list of items I need to help fill in the holes in my closet and assigned each item to a particular month of the year, capping each month's budget at $200 total. Here's what my calendar looks like:


Year-long Closet Budget


As you can see, March's budget, called for white skinny jeans, a statement necklace, and a striped top. Here's what I ended up with:

White Skinny Jeans:


LOFT curvy skinny jeans in white
Price: $59.50; on sale for 40% off = $38 after tax
Notes: the 'curvy skinny' line at LOFT is perfect for girls with my body type, meaning generally slim girls with small waists but athletic hips and booties. These fit in both the waist and thighs (gasp!) and are not suuuuuper skinny at the ankle, which is more flattering on my body to help balance out my hips. I'm 5'4" and buy the regular version, although they come in tall and petite too.

Statement Necklace:


Stripe rope knot necklace from Etsy shop Homako
Price after tax/shipping: $50
Notes: I already gushed about this necklace here, and my love hasn't wavered in the multiple times I've worn it since then. I'm also eyeing this beautiful origami necklace!

Black and White Striped Top:

This item ended up being the toughest for me to decide on. I tried the J Crew Factory Ponte Peplum Top, but it fit me really boxy and was not flattering. I also tried their J Crew Factory Printed Racerback Cami, but again the fit was off for me.  I ended up ordering this top and am eagerly awaiting its arrival!

Price: Originally $148, on sale for $82 plus a 15% off code = $69
Notes: I like that this is your basic stripe tank but dressed up a bit. I'm a little nervous about the fit since I've never worn this designer before, so if it doesn't work out I'm also eyeing this Theory top or perhaps this LAmade tank--I like the slight peplum of both of them. 

EDIT 4-30-14: I ended up returning the Kincaid tank because it required ironing every time (which, let's be honest, I just don't want to deal with so it will sit, wrinkled, in my closet). Then I realized that I really don't need another striped shirt...so I cut it from the list altogether.

March Budget Total: 
$38 + $50 + $69 = $157 (for $257.50 worth of items)
Over/under on March $200 budget: -$43
Over/under for the year since March: -$43
$38 + $50 = $88 (for $69.50 worth of items)
Over/under on March $200 budget: -$112
Over/under for the year since March: -$112


Here are a few ways I plan to incorporate these items into my wardrobe!




How I'm Wearing It



Other posts in this series:



No comments:

Post a Comment