Tuesday 12 March 2013

If I had to start all over...

Am I the only one who daydreams about stuff like this? What I'd do if I had to start my wardrobe all over? If all the clothes I own burned in a fire, this is how I'd start rebuilding my wardrobe:


If all my clothes burned in a fire...




In the past I've always been a very classic, traditional dresser. Lately I've been feeling the urge to shake things up a little with some weird stuff, like my green (p)leather skirt. So if I started my closet over from scratch, I'd incorporate more items that are 'basics with a flair.'


Here's the breakdown of the items I chose:

TOPS




1. Chambray shirt: Duh. So so so versatile. I love that this one is frills-free and the perfect, wear-with-anything shade of denim.
2. Nude blazer: Better than a white one because (as seen on model) you can still wear this with white tops/pants without looking like a ghost, but it works with literally everything a white one works with (aka, everything).
3. Black blazer: Zillions of versions of this exist. I like this one because the angle of the zippers makes you appear slimmer, and it's a little longer on the hip than some.
4. Vneck ts: I always have a white one, grey one, and brightly colored one. They go with everything from jeans and a blazer to a pencil skirt and statement jewelry.
5. Black and white stripe shirt: literally the best addition to my wardrobe in the past year, this shirt will look chic on its own or paired with florals or polka dots for some pattern mixing. I like that this one is longer than usual--tuck it into a skirt or wear it with leggings on the weekend!
6. Tie-neck blouse: I prefer tie-neck blouses to button-ups because you can style the tie in so many ways--bow, untied, under a sweater, etc. This pink option looks pretty on so many skin tones.
7. Boho patterned top: easily dressed up or down, this top can go with lots of different colors and go over pants, tucked into a skirt, under a blazer....
DRESSES AND SKIRTS



8. Blue sheath dress: the perfect day-to-night dress, I could see this with either blazer for day and with heels and a shawl for a nighttime wedding.
9. Patterned sheath: the dress equivalent of the boho top, this dress can also be very versatile--it would look sharp with a collared shirt under it or with a cardigan.
10. LBD: the drop waist and square neck make this not your average LBD. I like dresses with long sleeves for some reason, and you could style it as shown here!
11. Black pencil skirt: dress it up, dress it down, and I like that this is a little more unique with the longer hem in back.
12. Green leather skirt: as shown here, this skirt is surprisingly versatile--I've already worn mine several different ways!
13. Lace skirt: I have pinned dozens of images to my Style Inspiration board that feature the perfect little lace skirt.

PANTS & ACCESSORIES



Notice here that the majority of the pieces are neutral. Because my bottom half is heavier than my top, I like to keep my pants neutral and focus attention on my top half with brighter colors or prints--it's like the interior design equivalent of using a grey couch and bright, fun pillows and throws.

14. Leather clutch wallet: I love anything that makes carrying my junk around easier. I'm pretty simplistic (cards, cash, ID, phone) in what I carry so this wear-with-anything, only-gets-better-with-age wallet clutch is my dream wallet.
15. Black slouchy pants: these would look equally great dressed up with a blazer and shell as they would dressed down with a vneck and beanie.
16. Dark bootcut denim: I know skinny jeans are a hot ticket, but bootcut denim looks better on virtually everyone IMO. These AG jeans are pricey but so so soft and worth it!
17. Silky cream pants: another piece that is easily dressed up or down, these can look fancy for work but are basically like wearing pajamas.
18. Black leggings. Duh. Wear them under dresses/boots or on their own with an appropriately long shirt (leggings are NOT pants!) The Gap ones shown are my very favorites.
19. Gold bangle: makes any outfit look effortlessly chic. The bracelet equivalent of diamond studs.
20. T-strap flats: so much more chic than flip-flops but equally comfy and wearable.
21. Leopard flats: take a basic outfit up a notch. Bonus points for mixing patterns.
22. Black and nude pumps: sometimes you really can't beat the basics!
23. Pink crossbody bag: this shade is surprisingly versatile, and the size is perfect for shopping and traveling.
24. Art Deco necklace: toss over a tshirt or a dress--it all looks good!
25. Brown leather booties: These only improve with age and look great with leggings, dresses, tucked over pants...
26. Leather obi belt: spice up your basics and show your lady figure!

Although some of these items wouldn't make your typical 'wardrobe basics' list, I can think of at least three different outfits to make with each of these items, which gives you so many options!

No comments:

Post a Comment