Monday 4 March 2013

Current Natural Beauty Shopping List

If you were to ask me to hand you a shopping list of all the natural skin/haircare products I'm using lately, it would look a little something like this:
Natural Beauty Shopping List



It's funny to think back to the products I used when my routine was published on No More Dirty Looks. Not that it was a bad routine, just full of stuff that I now know doesn't work for me. It's funny how using natural products forces you to really discover what your face/skin/hair/body likes and dislikes.

Through lots of trial and error, I've stumbled across a routine that's been working really well for me lately (of course, just in time for the weather to turn and all my products to start being too heavy for the temps!). Here's a brief summary of the products in my current routine. Note that most of the products are available through iHerb, Vitacost, and/or LuckyVitamin, and I've linked to where it was the cheapest, but if you're going to put in a bulk order I'd pick one of the companies and order everything through that one company--cheaper shipping, accumulate points, etc!

(Note: if you'd like to purchase any of the products from iHerb, you can use my discount code JQC890 for $5 off under $40, $10 off over $40. I do receive credit to iHerb if you use the discount--so it's a win-win for everyone! :)

Background: 
  • My skin: pale, dry but prone to breakouts, especially on chin/blackheads on nose (gross). 
  • My hair: thin but lots of it, prone to greasiness/being limp from most products
  • Product no-nos: coconut oil and shea butter = clogged pores for me, and I'm allergic to jojoba oil

Day Skincare Routine:
1. Honeybee Gardens Toner ($5.35 for 4oz)

  • Toners = 'eh' for me. Can live without them.
  • I use this one to dampen my skin to prep it for my facial oil
  • I don't love or hate it--pretty indifferent. Won't repurchase.
  • Andalou Naturals has a nice moisturizing toner (the Clementine + C Illuminating Toner, $8.69 for 6floz). 


2. Now Sweet Almond Oil ($3.18 for 4oz): (iHerb code JQC890)



3. Andalou Naturals Acacia and White Tea Oil-free Moisturizer ($16.99 for 2.1oz):

  • Once the oil is soaked in, I add this frills-free moisturizer
  • The beauty of this product, and indeed most Andalou products I've tried, is that I put it on and forget about it--no greasiness, no resulting pimples or clogged pores, no heaviness. Simplicity is bliss, sometimes :)
  • This one is part of their 'clarifying' line for those with chronic breakouts, but they have other lines with moisturizers that look lovely too


4. Burn Out Sunscreen ($17.99 for 3oz):

  • Although sunscreen use can be controversial, I always apply this great little sunscreen over my moisturizer
  • If your skin is dry/you didn't use moisturizer first, this can feel tacky on the skin, but when I use it correctly I love it!
  • This goes on very white but quickly melts into the skin. It's neither a matte nor a dewy finish--my skin looks no different before/after application of this sunscreen, which is a plus for me personally


Night Skincare Routine: 
1. Andalou Naturals Kombucha Cleansing Gel ($9.39 for 6floz): (iHerb code JQC890)

  • Another deceptively simple product, this gel removes makeup well and leaves my skin clean. 
  • If my skin is super-dry to start out with it's a little too harsh, but with good moisturization it's perfect for me.
  • They have several other facial cleansing products as well

2. Damascus Rose Beauty Balm by Badger Company  ($11.90 for 1oz):

  • I've actually used up a whole jar this winter because I love it to death. 
  • I apply this at night and wake up with the softest, plumpest (in a good way!) skin
  • One of my all-time favorite natural finds, and it works great as an eye cream too!

Haircare Routine:
1. Shampoo with Acure Organics Mint Shampoo ($9.39 for 12floz):

  • Amazing for us limp-haired ladies, this cleanses well, and is just a great no-nonsense product. 

2. Condition with Acure's matching Mint Conditioner ($9.69 for 12floz): 

  • I like this conditioner just fine--the mint scent is much stronger in the conditioner than the shampoo or mask (see below), so smell-sensitive ladies should be aware of that. 
  • I may try something else when this runs out, just because it's pretty basic, but it does the job well.

3. Acure Organics Moisturizing Root Repair Mask ($9.99 for 4oz):

  • I'm still testing this out. The first time I used it, I think I used too much because it made my hair a greaseball. The next day it was super soft, though! 
  • I don't know if I'll continue to purchase this though as the first 10 or so ingredients are the same as the conditioner, so it seems like somewhat of a scam. 
  • If you're not using Acure's conditioner already, though, you may love this--but remember that a little dab'll do ya!

4. Apple cider vinegar ($4.59 for 32floz):

  • I still use my ol' 4:1 water to apple cider vinegar mix on my hair about once a week instead of the conditioner or hair mask. 
  • It just strips out buildup and makes my hair so shiny and silky!


Face Mask Routine:
I rotate my face masks depending on what my skin is feeling/looking like. I use these three and am really happy with all of them for different reasons:

1. Andalou Naturals Glycolic Brightening Pumpkin and Honey Face Mask ($10.99 for 1.7oz):

  • This mask is the most nourishing/moisturizing of the three. 
  • It tingles when you put it on, which goes away after a few minutes. I like to leave this on for about 10 minutes.
  • The mask never totally dries but washes away like silk. My face always feels so soft afterward and it definitely does its chemical exfoliation job well!
  • I use this when my skin looks dull but is too dry for the other two.

2. Skin Apotheke Ubtan Cleanser ($22 for 3oz).  

  • On those days when I feel like my skin needs a good scrub, I use the ubtan cleanser.
  • Since it comes as a powder, I have experimented with lots of different liquids to make the mask/scrub--whole milk, coconut milk, water, almond oil...all work well for different reasons. It's a fun little scrub to experiment with!
  • One of my favorite ways to use this is by combining the ubtan and pumpkin masks together--I scrub it around my face then leave it all on there a while for physical + chemical exfoliation.
  • I love that this provides physical exfoliation without leaving my skin feeling raw!

3. Aztec Clay ($4.99 for 1lb) plus apple cider vinegar:

  • I use this when my pores start looking a little clogged. 
  • Adding the vinegar to the clay powder makes it fizz in a fun way (it's the little things in life... ;) and you can feel your skin kinda pulsing as it dries. 
  • I also like to use this as a spot treatment, as it can be drying on my whole face. 
  • I always follow up this mask with the Badger beauty balm, and my face wakes up so happy the next morning! :)


So that's what I'm currently using! Any new products you're loving lately?



No comments:

Post a Comment