Thursday 11 October 2012

No Pretty Pictures but Important to Me


A little-known fact about me is that I grew up on an organic farm. My parents taught me to respect our land (my brother will be the fourth generation to farm it), and for our family part of respecting the land that literally fed me is taking care of its nutrition. You may not know that soil, much like people, depends on a delicate balance of nutrients to perform optimally. Certain plants leech nutrients like calcium and potassium from the soil, while others add it back in. For this reason, organic farmers rotate which crops they plant in which field each year--to maintain the delicate balance. Organic farmers like my dad also have to abide by very strict standards for crop control--my high school summers were spent 'walking beans' aka literally walking up and down rows of beans in 100+ acre fields, hand-picking weeds since conventional, chemical-based weed control is not allowed with organic farming.

So what does this all have to do with my blog? Well today I'd like to talk about my transition from conventional cosmetics and skincare products to natural/organic/green/'clean' beauty. You might think that, given how my family makes a living, I eat only organic products, never wash my hair, and am extremely conscious of my environmental impact. Unfortunately, until just recently, you'd be wrong. Much like many people, I eat what's at the grocery store, shower regularly, and while I am an avid recycler and take public transit everywhere (I don't own a car), my education/awareness regarding the impact my lifestyle has on the environment is embarassingly scant.

Lately I've had a series of blemish outbreaks on my skin, which got me studying up on what may be breaking me out and what I can do to stop it. In my research, I started to realize: I try to eat healthy (although not organic), exercise, and generally take care of myself. Why, then, am I exposing myself to all sorts of chemicals, whether it be in my shampoo, mascara, face wash, lettuce, or shower cleaner? My search for cleaner, purer products started with my desire to simplify my routine and my exposures to harmful chemicals.

So, looooong story short, I'm transitioning my skincare and beauty products to much more natural/green/organic/'clean' products. And since I've had to do a lot of research to even start this process, I thought I'd share some of the best of what I've learned. If you are interested, please click the links below for some amazing education from people much smarter and more eco-friendly than I.

Useful Information for Judging your Products:



Lists of Ingredients in Cosmetics to Avoid:



Current Favorite Organic Beauty Blogs:


I hope that you enjoy learning about this topic as much as I do. In the upcoming weeks I plan to keep you updated to my journey to cleaner beauty. Since I know this is not everyone's cup of tea, it won't be the sole topic of my blog. But because I started this blog to document things I'm interested in at any given point in my life, I think it's important to document my process. Hope you'll enjoy the ride!

2 comments:

  1. Hello Meghan! I noticed your blog through my blog statistic and took a look. I really like it! So glad to see people that are switching to green :)
    Thank you also for adding me in your list of favorites!
    Have a nice day! Best, Dasha

    ReplyDelete