Friday 8 July 2016

Here's what you can do.

"If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor." -Desmond Tutu




"We must take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." -Elie Wiesel




These quotes have been running through my mind since the shootings of Philando Castile and Alton Sterling, the most recent in a long and horrifying string of deaths at the hands of policemen.


(And before anyone tries to confuse this topic with another, I was also horrified to hear of the police deaths in Dallas; I agree with Trevor Noah, who stated, "You can be pro-cop and pro-black, which is what we should all be.")


Because I cannot be neutral on this topic, and because I am a white person who has benefited greatly from the color of my skin, I've been trying to find ways that I can help solve the problem of institutionalized racism in our country. I don't have any great answers, but I found this article to have some great suggestions of stepping-stones in the right direction.



No comments:

Post a Comment